ENGIE commits to the energy transition
ENGIE aims to play a leading role in the energy transition all over the world. Closer to home, the Group has submitted its commitments for the Flemish climate response, in connection with the Flemish Climate and Energy Summit.
Under the Paris Climate Agreement, the global increase in temperature must be limited to well below 2°C. In this connection, Europe has set itself the long-term objective of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80 to 95% by 2050 compared to 1990 levels. One of the first steps is to reduce emissions by at least 40% by 2030. Flanders wants to contribute to these European emission reduction objectives.
Towards a Flemish Climate and Energy Plan
To address these challenges, the Flemish government is holding a Climate Summit. It is working with all segments of society on concrete campaigns and measures to help reach Flanders’ greenhouse gas reduction targets. By the end of 2018, this should result in a Climate and Energy Plan for 2021-2030. The stakeholders – businesses, knowledge institutions, governments – are actively involved, in part by delivering bottom-up information on possible measures and the potential they offer.
With a view to the Flemish Climate and Energy Summit, ENGIE submitted its declaration of commitment, in which the Group reiterates its ambitions to play a leading role in the energy transition. We want to sharply decrease our CO2 emissions and drastically reduce our ecological footprint.
We’ve grouped our commitments together into five clusters:
• ENGIE is investing heavily in renewable energy.
- We will at least double our onshore wind power capacity by 2020.
- We are continuing to roll out our offering of solar panels for homes, we are researching the possibility of an offering with batteries and we are setting high targets for deploying solar panels at businesses.
• ENGIE offers innovative solutions for energy efficiency and digitalisation.
- We are rolling out smart devices, such as boxx, as well as an insulation solution.
- We are offering an integrated package of services for smart cities.
- We are developing Sigfox, a specialised and ultra-energy-efficient data communication network.
• ENGIE is focusing on green mobility.
- We are developing services and filling and loading infrastructure for sustainable mobility: we are investing €100 million in CNG and LNG filling stations.
- We are building a hub for alternative energy (LNG and CNG) in the port of Antwerp.
• ENGIE is focusing on research and development.
• ENGIE is setting an example in green mobility and energy-efficient buildings.
- It is sharing its experiences: e.g. highly energy-efficient office buildings in the immediate vicinity of major public transport routes.
Read the full ENGIE Declaration of Commitment.