For any question relating to the treatment of your personal data you can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or via Mailbox 10020, 1030 Schaerbeek Brussels Station BRU.-NOORD.
Which personal data?
We collect the following personal data categories:
- Identification data: for example, your name, first name, date of birth, identity card number, e-mail address and the IP address of your PC, tablet or smartphone, your voice recordings;
- Contract data: for example, which contracts you have concluded with ENGIE, their start and end date, the price and any indexation parameters;
- Consumption and invoicing data: for example, your consumption of electricity and/or natural gas and data concerning your payment history;
- Transaction data: for example, a change of supplier, a move, a meter replacement;
- Technical data: for example, what type of heating system you have, whether your house is insulated or not, the year of construction of your house, whether you have solar panels or not;
- Data on your use of our products and services: for example, how you use our online services for monitoring your consumption of electricity and/or natural gas.
Why do we process your personal data?
We process your personal data for the following reasons:
- To manage and perform your request for an offer of ENGIE or your contract(s) with ENGIE;
- To manage our website and apps (including the management of and the access to the parts of our website reserved for our customers);
- In certain cases, to inform you about the products and services of ENGIE, of our affiliated companies and our partners, promotions and special actions that we think might be of interest to you;
- This always concerns products and services related to energy and energy efficiency (for example with regard to heating, energy storage and green mobility), and may also concern energy-related products and services of our partners (for example with regard to insulation and solar panels).
- If you are a professional customer, this may also concern products and services related to technical installations and/or infrastructure.
- To combine your personal data, for example to determine your credit risk or to adjust our products and services, promotions and special actions to your personal needs;
- To observe, evaluate and constantly improve our products and services, promotions and special actions. You may, for instance, receive an invitation from us to participate to general or specific market surveys, on an anonymous basis if you wish so;
- The control and improvement of the interactions you have with us, our internal processes and the quality of the services provided by our contact centers. To this end, we may record and access your electronic communications (such as telephone conversations, chat, emails) and the data relating to these exchanges;
- To protect the rights, property and security of ENGIE, its customers or third parties (including the fight against fraud, the management of disputes or legal proceedings);
- To manage the statutory or regulatory obligations of ENGIE;
- To carry out the accounting of ENGIE; and
- To manage our receivables (including recovery and/or transfer of receivables to collecting agencies). To manage our receivables, we may combine the personal data provided by you with information (including personal data) obtained from third parties and/or public sources in order to optimize the recovery and to determine the most appropriate recovery method (for example, amical or judicial recovery).
To whom may we communicate your personal data?
Your personal data are only communicated to the following third parties in order to perform the aforementioned purposes:
- Our contact centres;
- The network operators;
- Our partners (for example, installers of products related to energy and energy efficiency , such as with regard to heating, solar panels and insulation; our door-to-door sellers; our market research offices);
- The companies and intermediaries we collaborate with to manage our receivables (for example recovery, transfer of receivables);
- Our affiliated companies (for example ENGIE sa, Sungevity, Cozie);
- The competent authorities.
The aforementioned processors are established in Belgium, France, Sweden, the United States, India and possibly in other countries. The persons working for these third parties only have access to the personal data strictly necessary for the performance of their tasks.
Transfer of personal data to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”)
If we cooperate with third parties established in countries outside the EEA that do not provide an appropriate level of protection for your personal data, we will impose contractual obligations on them, approved by a competent authority and offering an appropriate level of protection of your personal data. If you wish to receive a copy of these contractual obligations, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. We reserve the right to remove any confidential information and any information that is not relevant to you from such a copy.
Legal ground for the processing of your personal data
We only process your personal data when:
- The processing is necessary to perform your contract or to take pre-contractual measures at your request (for example, when you have requested us to send you an offer for our products and services);
- The processing is necessary for the legitimate interest of ENGIE (for example, to send messages to our existing customers for marketing purposes);
- You have given your consent (for example, to send e-mails to potential customers for marketing purposes). In this case, you can always withdraw your consent; and
- The processing is necessary to comply with our statutory or regulatory obligations (for instance within the scope of judicial inquiries or requests for information of public authorities).
How long do we keep your personal data?
Your personal data are not kept longer than necessary for the purposes for which they were collected. The retention period may thus differ according to the purpose. We are, for example, obliged to keep your invoicing data for 7 years because of accounting and tax obligations. Furthermore, we keep your contract data for 10 years following the termination of your contract based on legal considerations in order to retain certain data as proof in the event of disputes. Certain data of former customers may be used for a period of 4 years following the termination of the contract in order to recognise the former customer and keep him informed of promotions and new products and services of ENGIE, unless the customer opposes such use. The personal data of potential customers are retained during 12 months as from the last contact with the potential customer. They may be retained for a longer period if the potential customer becomes a customer of ENGIE.
What are your rights?
Under certain conditions, you will benefit from the following rights with regard to your personal data collected by ENGIE:
- The right of access to, rectification or erasure of your personal data;
- The right to oppose the processing or to obtain a limitation of the processing;
- The right to receive the personal data that you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to communicate them to another controller;
- The right to withdraw your consent at any time, for example when you do no longer wish to receive direct marketing via e-mail.
You may exercise these rights via our website click here or by sending a letter with a copy of your identity card to ENGIE Electrabel CMT, boulevard Simón Bolívar 34, B-1000 Brussels.
If you are a residential or self-employed customer and you want to change your communication preferences, click here (access to your customer area).
If you are a contact person of a company having subscribed to a contract with ENGIE, you can adapt your communication preferences via a link you receive in each e-mail from ENGIE.
If you have a complaint concerning the processing of your personal data, you may contact us on the above address or contact the Data Protection Authority www.dataprotectionauthority.be.
ENGIE makes its best efforts to thoroughly protect its network against unauthorised access and to guarantee the confidentiality of the personal data and professional information of its customers and/or suppliers:
- We do this by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to prevent the interception or decoding of confidential passwords and personal data.
- ENGIE’s internal network is protected by a secure firewall and is not directly accessible over the Internet.
Security also depends on you:
- Be careful how you use your password. Never disclose it to anyone, even your colleagues. Also change it regularly.
- Never leave your PC, tablet or smartphone unattended when you are connected to an application.